Netflix has had an amazing year with plenty of releases stacking up on its shelves that boast a variety of content. While the pandemic ravaged the world, we found comfort in streaming endless hours of series and films to escape the harsh reality.
With its burgeoning Original content, the streaming service, which is now a force to be reckoned with, has also introduced all-time fan favourites like Seinfeld, Cowboy Bebop (original anime) and The Office (US) yet again that has led to a sharp rise in viewership. While they were pretty guarded and tight-lipped about their streaming numbers, the platform has recently started releasing viewership data.
The famous K-original Squid Game has broken the previous records held by Shonda Rhimes’ Bridgerton to become the most-watched show on the platform. Squid Game has also led to the overwhelming Korean wave taking over the rest of the world due to its riveting premise and wonderful narrative.
They are closely followed by the French thriller series Lupin as well as the absolute fan-favourite Spanish series Money Heist who released the first volume of their final season earlier this year. The heist will supposedly come to an end in December 2021.
It is indeed quite delightful to note that the top three spots on the most popular series charts have been occupied by international shows that are indeed very appealing to the global audience.
While Rawson Marshall Thurber’s film Red Notice, starring Ryan Reynolds, Dwayne Johnson and Gal Gadot, received divisive reception, it has had a staggering viewership, nearly breaking the records of the previous undefeated winner Bird Box from 2018. It is followed by Zack Snyder’s exciting zombie heist film Army of the Dead and Paul Weitz’s Fatherhood, starring Kevin Hart.
While we are just a month away from this year coming to an end, December 2021 seems to be yet another promising year for the streaming service who has two very interesting films up their sleeve, namely Jane Campion’s The Power of the Dog, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, and Adam McKay’s Don’t Look Up, with an ensemble cast comprising Leonardo DiCaprio, Meryl Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Cate Blanchett, Timothee Chalamet and more.
Other popular shows like The Witcher and Emily in Paris are coming back for a second season run while Money Heist will be releasing the final volume to its fifth part, marking the end of their journey.
Netflix usually considers one to be a viewer if they watch two minutes of a title which is, according to them, “long enough to indicate the choice was intentional”.
Here is the list of the most-watched films and series on Netflix in 2021:
- Red Notice – Rawson Marshall Thurber (129 million)
- Army of the Dead – Zack Snyder (75 million)
- Fatherhood – Paul Weitz (74 million)
- The Guilty – Antoine Fuqua (69 million)
- Sweet Girl – Brian Mendoza (68 million)
- The Kissing Booth 3 – Vince Marcello (59 million)
- He’s All That – Mark Waters (55 million)
- Blood Red Sky – Peter Thorwarth (55 million)
- The Mitchells vs the Machines – Michael Rianda (53 million)
- Squid Game – Hwang Dong-hyuk (142 million)
- Lupin part 1 – Louis Leterrier, Marcela Said (76 million)
- Money Heist part 5 vol 1 – Alex Pina (69 million)
- Maid – Molly Smith Metzler (67 million)
- Sex/Life – Stacy Rukeyser (67 million)
- Sweet Tooth – Jim Mickle (60 million)
- Fate: The Winx Saga – Brian Young (57 million)
- Sex Education season 3 – Laurie Nunn (55 million)
- Shadow and Bone – Eric Heisserer (55 million)
- Lupin part 2 – Louis Leterrier, Marcela Said (54 million)