Created by Gabe Liedman and Nick Kroll in 2017, Netflix’s Big Mouth recently dethroned the highest-grossing series Squid Game and You season 3 to become the most popular show on Netflix US with its fifth season arriving on the streaming platform last week.
Dealing with a variety of themes that plague adolescents with the onset of puberty, including their burgeoning sexuality, mental health issues and other questions, the show is a brilliant and quirky adult comedy cartoon.
A raunchy coming-of-age comedy show, Big Mouth explores a variety of themes relevant to the struggles in this journey of self-acceptance. It deftly deals with the various issues middle-schoolers get entangled in; horny classmates, masturbation, menstruation, unannounced erections, personal drama, social media addiction, domestic disturbances, mood swings, academic and peer pressure — the complete, awkward set.
With puberty being personified into monsters, the show focuses on a group of teenagers who are overwhelmed by the onslaught of adolescence and raging hormones that lead to various emotional and physical changes. With the alienation and disconnect they feel from their bodies along with the pangs of young love and other urges, the relatability of the show reaches its zenith.
The show has a brilliant ensemble cast who voice various characters, with some of the actors managing to voice various other miscellaneous characters. F you always wanted to identify the voices, check out Best of Netflix’s list about the voice cast of the popular cartoon for its fifth season:
Everything we know about Netflix’s Big Mouth voice cast
- Nick Kroll as Nick Birch, Maurice the Hormone Monster, Rick the Hormone Monster, Lola and Coach Steve
- Ayo Edebiri as Missy
- John Mulaney as Andrew Glouberman and other miscellaneous side characters
- Jesi Klein as Jessi Glaser and other minor characters
- Maya Rudolph as Connie the Hormone Monster, Nick’s mother and the ghosts of Whitney Houston and Elizabeth Taylor
- Andrew Rannells as Matthew MacDell
- Jason Matzoukas as Jay Bilzerian
- Jordan Peele as the Ghost of Duke Ellington
- Adam Scott as Mr Keating
- Jermaine Clement as Hormone Monster Simon Sex
- Nathan Fillion as himself
- David Thewlis as Shame Wizard
- Richard Kind as Andrew’s father
- Thandiwe Newton as Mona the Hormone Monster
- Jon Daly as Judd Birch
- Zachary Quinto as Aiden
- Zach Galifianakis as Gratitoad
- Jack McBrayer as Nick’s pubes
- Fred Armisen as Nick’s father
- Ali Wong as Ali
- Paula Pell as both Andrew and Missy’s mother
In addition, stars like Gina Rodriguez, Mark Duplass, Kristen Wiig, Gary Cole, Rosa Salazaar, Craig Robinson, Kristen Bell and Kristen Schaal voiced various characters. Despite her public farewell to her role as Missy, Jenny Slate made a return this season to voice other characters.
Stars like Hugh Jackman and Kumail Nanjiani have also played themselves in the fifth season.
Check out the fifth season of Big Mouth on Netflix now.