Netflix is a platform that relies on third-party content, even if they are ever striving to be totally reliant on their own original content. Across their recent history, these wider-released blockbuster titles have frequently appeared in their list of top-performing content, from Christmas powerhouses like The Grinch, to Despicable Me, and The Angry Birds Movie 2.
Though, there is one unlikely Hollywood animation flick that constantly performs quietly in the background of the streaming service and is soon to leave Netflix altogether. The film? The Secret Life of Pets 2. Whilst the film may have never achieved total chart-topping popularity, like Despicable Me, and The Mitchells vs. The Machines has done in the past, it’s the consistency of the film which has proven to be its most valuable asset, spending the most amount of days in Netflix’s top 10 charts.
Take a look at the full list below of the ten movies with the most appearances in the top 10 most popular charts, including the likes of The Croods and We Can Be Heroes.
The 10 most popular movies on Netflix:
- The Secret Life of Pets 2 – (Chris Renaud, 2019) – 138 days
- Despicable Me – (Pierre Coffin, Chris Renaud, 2010) – 111 days
- The Grinch – (Yarrow Cheney, Scott Mosier, 2018) – 77 days
- We Can Be Heroes – (Robert Rodriguez, 2010) – 68 days
- The Mitchells vs. The Machines – (Michael Rianda, 2021) – 63 days
- Angry Birds 2 – (Thurop Van Orman, 2019) – 53 days
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas – (Ron Howard, 2000) – 51 days
- 365 Days – (Barbara Białowąs, Tomasz Mandes, 2020) – 45 days
- The Croods – (Chris Sanders, Kirk DeMicco, 2013) – 45 days
- Home – (Tim Johnson, 2015) – 39 days
Animated and family films dominate the streaming services top-performers list, with The Secret Life of Pets 2 considerably outperforming the rest of the crowd.
So whilst it may not be Netflix’s most wildly popular film of all time, it is its most consistent, being a sensation for statistics since its release on the site in Christmas 2019.